Sometimes I wonder how often professional people stop and reflect on the power of their LinkedIn page and how their image and commentary are perceived by their network.
Do you use LinkedIn often, occasionally or not at all?
LinkedIn isn't only a digital version of your resume anymore, in fact it's now more widely used for applying for jobs, recruiters finding you for roles, networking, doing business and becoming an authority in your profession.
Having a solid strategy for how you use LinkedIn can certainly ensure you set yourself apart from others.
Consider some of the times you may re-think having a look at your LinkedIn profile and ensuring it matches up with your professional image and goals.
- Are you about to job hunt or reach out to a recruiter or to a Company you'd like to work for?
- Are you considering a work promotion?
- Does your Company have a link to your LinkedIn profile on their website?
- Are you looking to create a business profile vs your personal one?
- Are you considering joining a Board of Directors and want a profile that reflects this?
- You want to dial up Brand YOU
- You want to become known as an expert in your area of expertise
- You want to actively grow your network (and business)
Whatever your motivation is to review your profile, you need to understand that there are highly active LinkedIn members with clear engagement strategies of how and why they use the platform. They may be searching for job candidates or business connections and doing business - and you could be getting overlooked. Harnessing the power of this professional platform by ensuring your profile is up-to-date, you are consistent with posting relevant content and you check-in regularly, will deliver you results that may even surprise you. Just have a clear strategy and ensure your profile reflects this.
Some strategic points to consider when reviewing your LinkedIn profile page:
1. Do a Google search on yourself and see what information is available on you. What will potential employers see when they search for you?
2. Does your LinkedIn page rank high on the search?
3. Have you ever been interviewed or had an article published? Consider adding a link to it on your LinkedIn page
4. Is everything on your social media consistent and a true representation of you?
5. Have you received a testimonial from a client? Include this on your LinkedIn page
6. Is your LinkedIn profile up-to-date?
7. Are the appropriate job level skills listed?
8. Have you reached out to contacts who can assist you in helping you achieve your goal?
9. Have you considered a LinkedIn Engagement Strategy for elevating your profile and expertise with your connections?
10. Does your Summary area on your LinkedIn profile reflect where you are looking to position yourself and provide your reader with clarity on your goals?
It can often be hard to write about yourself or know how to get active on social media. If you need assistance with LinkedIn Services Strategic Social Profiles can help. It's what we do, create social media profiles for busy professionals and small business.
Creating Strategic Social Profiles for busy professionals and small business.
Strategic Social Profiles write a regular blog to provide professionals and small business owners with collated information of all things social media. We strive to share our experience and knowledge and assist our readers on how to Social It Yourself and reap the benefits from effective social media.